Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"Entry Way/Mud Room" In the Making

My mail, keys, phone and bag seem to end up on the kitchen table constantly because my hands are full when I get home and there is really no designated spot for them.  So I decided I needed to make an "entry way".  There were two looks that I kept seeing (and liking).  One was like a mini-mud room consisting of a storage ottoman under a wall-mounted coat hook.

Check out my favorite example from Young House Love:

The second idea was a more traditional entry way with a console table and mirror. Something like this from decor pad.
With the layout of this house, though, I don't have the space for much of either.  So I decided to do both, but split them up.  Here's the plan.

I hope to create the mini-mud room (basically the same as seen from Young House Love) down stairs in the library by the door leading to the garage. This will collect my coats, scarfs, bag and give me a little bit of storage.  Then I will use some free wall space (since I moved the kitchen table up against the wall instead of centered on the floor) in the kitchen area for a console table.  Now, the trick is to find a console table that will actually fit in this smaller space!

What I originally had in mind was a more traditional console table with drawer(s) and a shelf, like this:
The problem is that most of these types of console tables are a little to long for the area I plan to use it for.  So, I may end up using either a more basic small table or desk or more of a small shelving unit
like one of these:




Also, I hope to get a new larger rectangular mirror to hang above the table.  Something like this:













Right now, I have a make shift version of what I want...

I used a spare chair from my kitchen set as a make-shift table.  This was enough to hold a tray for my keys, my phone & bag plus my "reading list" for 2011!  And in place of my future mirror is the yard-sale one I updated recently!  This will do for now, but keep an eye out for posts about my future min-mud room and entry way!

1 comment:

  1. Meijer has a console table with the two drawers for $70 I'm not sure of the length though. I have a two shelve book shelf from Sauders or Saunder (I forget which) that I got at meijer for only $15! Ill post a pic on fbook for you to see if its something that would work for your small space!

    ReplyDelete