Friday, December 17, 2010

DIY #6 - Shutter Memory Board

I had seen many creative uses for shutters in home decorating - hung as shutters on wall, converted into headboards in bedrooms, and turned sideways to make a sort of memory board.  I decided I wanted to try the memory board idea, and I started with an old wooden shutter that my mom found unique little shop on a day-trip.

Next, I grabbed some white paint and set up a little painting station in the basement.  Every time I headed down the the basement for something for about week I painted on a thin layer over the dark maroon color.

Finally, after what seems like twenty coats, I added some think cork material to the back to keep things from falling through and to prevent it from rubbing on the freshly painted bedroom wall.  Then it was ready to be hung up!


I only put a picture and an old ticket in to "try it out", but didn't fill it up because I need to switch out the screws to make it a little more secure.  Keep your eyes peeled for a more "memorable" shutter in future bedroom updates!

Total Cost:  $4       (free shutter -thanks Mom!, already had paint & brush, cork $4)

No comments:

Post a Comment