Saturday, December 4, 2010

DIY #5 - Mirror Update

I picked up a mirror (among other things) at the St. Rt. 127 Yard sales a few months back.

I bought the mirror for $7 outside of an older farm house.  The woman at the sale said the mirror was over 40 years old, and though it was in great condition for its age, it needed a makeover.  So, after it sitting downstairs untouched for a few months, I finally decided what I was going to do after seeing a picture of something similar in a decorating magazine!

I took the back off and pulled the mirror out, then painted the frame the same silver spray paint I used for the lamp (see the last post).  While the frame dried in the garage, I headed to a craft store for clear marbles and a glue gun. 
 When I got home, I started gluing, working my way through two bags of marbles and countless glue sticks.

 When I had about half of the marbles glued down, I realized I should have attached the mirror and backing before adding the marbles, but the gluing was done.


 
Next, I scrubbed the old mirror surface with cleaner and used a razor edge to scrap off some old paint, then nailed it back into place.  As I expected, the use of the hammer knocked off some of the marbles, but I broke the glue gun back out and had it all fixed up in under five minutes.  Lesson Learned: Attach the back before you glue anything to the front! No matter, I'm thrilled with the final product and I can't wait to get it hung up!


  
Total cost:  $25         ($7 for Mirror, $4 paint, $8 for glue materials, $6 for marbles)

No comments:

Post a Comment