Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Overhall: Day 5 - The Girly Guest Room

In a previous post, I had gathered a few inspirational pictures for a purple, white and black guest room and I'm finally on my way!  I can't believe how much the room has changed in just the two years I've been here and the paint today took it one step further.  Here is the history of the guest room in the making.

Here is the guest room right after I moved in about a year and half ago:

(A little foreshadowing:...If you look above the light switch right next to the door you can see the purple paint sample that I would eventually decided on and will be seen later in this post!)
About 6 months ago, I decided to move the furniture around some and clean out some of the "junk" that had ended up there during the move.  

Then I switched out the old duvet for a new white one from Ikea and did a little more cleaning:
Yesterday, I started covering the dark green from the previous owners with some serious primer.

Here it is after at least two coats of primer:


Today we got the paint up!  I went with a light purple (Valspar's Sweet Lilac) for the walls and plan to use black, white and gray accents in the room.  After the paint dried I go the bed and rug back in the room and set up a "test night stand".  I wanted to try out  a white Lack table (from Ikea) with one of the black lamps with a white shade that I bought at my friend Randi's Yardsale and a little purple flower. Here are the results:
 

Here is the accent pillow that I bought for this room at Target (love this thing!).
An up-close of the "test night stand".  I think I like it!  I'm heading to Ikea to pick up a matching table for the other side of the bed.  I already have a matching lamp waiting!  (The mirror on the table will be moved to a dressing table eventually - mentioned next).
 Eventually I want to get a small "dressing table" for this small wall.  I will hang this mirror on the wall above the table and set the standing mirror above on the table with a few little jars/trays/various nick-nacks.  The mirror is holding the table's place for now I guess.
Glad to have the guest room on its way.  I still plan to add a second night stand, white curtains, some thing on the blank walls, a the dressing table, and I hope to find a little bench to fix up for the foot of the bed - so stay tuned for future guest room updates.

So once again, lots of changes.  Here is the before and after, side by side for dramatic effect.

Today we also worked on the library and completed a few small but neat updates throughout the house.  Once the library is finished (hopefully tomorrow) I'll post the rest of the house updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment