Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pinterest Challenge: Project #1

In this recent post, I accepted the Pinterest Challenge, and mentioned the idea behind my first project.  Though, I felt it was cheating to repeat a project, I did want a "do-over".  I made the first one, from this post, for the space above the television and I just never really liked to for that space.  I decided to hang the old one over the staircase for now because this space was empty and needed something.  (I usually have some seasonal decoration to hang here - but I don't have anything for summer yet).
Once again, the space above the television was empty...

So I figured, why not try again?  This time I wanted to change the color and the design.  So I headed over to Pinterest.  Here was the Pin-spiration:
                         
Instead of creating my own design like last time, I decided that I actually wanted to replicate this pattern as much as possible since I liked the circular-type formation for the space above the T.V.  So I dug out my box of toilet paper rolls...
 ...(I've made my parents begin to collect them now too!) and started cutting and arranging the design.
Once I had the design down, I broke out the super glue and the clothes pins and got to work.

Soon I realized that super glue was not the best option.  I used super glue the last time, so I automatically started using it again this time, but this project required a lot more glue.  So I dug out my glue gun and kept on gluing. 
Then I was finally happy with the size of the design (and I ran out of pieces!) and I was ready to paint!
With the pieces all glued together, I headed out for some spray paint.  Originally, I assumed I'd paint it white mostly because I couldn't think of another color that would look good in the living room, but I wanted to change things up from the last project, which was painted white.  I decided to try Oil Rubbed Bronze, which I'd seen and liked on Young House Love.  Now I think I found a new favorite go-to spray color!!  

 Now that the piece is finished and up on the wall, I love it.  First, I think this design fits the space here much better than the last one.  Second, I love the color choice - the ORB makes the piece look like a shiny metal instead of cardboard!  Overall, I'm very happy with this project and plan to do more toilet paper art work in the future!  For now though, I found made something neat for the empty space and I have my first Pinterest Challenge Project finished.  One down!!


P.S. Go check out the original Challengers:
Katie @ Bower Power

12 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so much fun! What a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!!! It looks so fun to make, too. I think it would look even better if you made some more to put on that same wall, maybe in smaller sizes. Just a thought. :-) Rachel H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been saving my rolls for a similar project! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love it! i hope you dont mind me borrowing that idea for my finished basement. i have no idea what to hang on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the inspiration for this, you did a really nice job too. My only thought is that the scale looks a little small on that wall above the TV and it might have a little more impact if you added on to make it a few inches bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it - I've been collecting rolls for a while now planning on a similar project. Maybe I'll actually put them to good use finally! Question: what method did you use to hang it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin - Since its all cardboard it isn't to heavy so, I just put three small nails in the wall that would catch the tops of a few of the tp roll pieces. Once it's hung up, the nails are pretty much invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DUDE SHUT UP! I can't believe you made this with TP rolls and spray paint! AHH! Pinning in 3...2...1...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wide die you cut the empty rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used on of your pictures I found on pintrest on my blog I hope that's ok and I linked your blog under the picture (=

    http://confessionsofalazzymom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a bee hive! The design is really beautiful. What makes this even better is that it is made from recycled tissue rolls; thus, making it good for the environment. Thank you for sharing this. I am pretty sure that several homeowners will do the same or draw ideas from it to come up with other beautiful designs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to do small ones and paint them white with a little added glitter and use them for snowflakes on my Christmas tree!!! =) SUPER EXCITED!

    ReplyDelete