Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Overhall: Day 2 - A 10 Hour Day of Painting

My parents showed up bright and early to help me paint today - and they brought breakfast!  After a bite and some iced coffee, we started moving furniture out of the way and removing the outlet and switch covers.
 Removing the covers took a lot more time than expected, though, because the previous owners apparently put the covers on while the surrounding paint was still wet, as most of the covers were practically "glued" to the wall.  With a little prying, I finally go them all off though and we started painting!
With our paint brushes ready we all started on our own part:
Mom started painting over the paint the previous owners had gotten a the ceiling.



I started cutting in from the bottom.  Mom cut in at the top since I'm too short!


Dad started rolling on primer over the last of the awful maroon color in the house!  Then he started rolling on the new gray color (Dolphin Cove) on the the other walls.

It ending up taking two coats of a heavy-duty primer to cover that awful maroon. 

 But eventually the maroon was all gone- horray!
We didn't stop with just this though - we ended up painting the whole main level - the living room, dining room, and kitchen.  Here I am painting the kitchen - I got tired of taping first and tried to "free hand" it.  Below is a picture of a finished a drying dining room.
 Almost TEN HOURS (oy!) of painting later, it was time to stop.   Paint Day #1 Progress:
Living room/front door area.  That is the All-Star game on the TV!
Living/dining room.
We had covered the chair above with an extra sheet so we could keep it paint free when someone needed a break - but my parents just ended up fighting over who got the comfy seat... next time I'll make sure there are two seats!

Hallway - Still in progress.
I ended up wearing quite a bit of the paint - yikes!
Sitting in the newly painted room with clean & fresh walls, I love having all of those imperfections left in the walls by the last owners fixed, but I'm not sure how I feel about my choice of paint color!  I definitely don't like how it looks with the tan/browinish tile and cabinets in the kitchen and I'm not sure if it has the right look in the living room.  I think it'll take on a whole new feel, though, once I get my albums, artwork, and mirrors back up on the walls.  For now, I'm ready for a hot shower and a good night's rest after a long long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment