Wednesday, March 30, 2011

DIY Wax Paper Capiz Shell and Ribbon Chandelier

Inspired by this post on Design*Sponge, I decided to upgrade the ceiling lamp in my bedroom while on spring break.  So I gathered the materials at Meijer and got to work.  First I used left over silver spray paint (from the mirror update) to spray the wire loop I got from a local garden center.

 While the paint was drying, I started gathered my "shell" material and started ironing together the wax paper and cutting out circles.


Next, I started cutting pieces of ribbon and attaching it to the freshly painted wire loop.

Then I broke out the old glue gun and started attaching the "shells" to the chandelier.
About halfway through, I realized that I needed more ribbon and "shells", so I had to backtrack and repeat the first few steps again.  Soon enough though, I was back in business and had finished my DIY chandelier!


I had to *try* to take off the glass cover on the ceiling fan unit that was currently up and (though I took my head off by accidentally starting the fan...) I got it hung up, for now at least.  I'm going to have to work out a way to attach the chandelier so that the ribbons don't touch the light bulbs and I'd also like to move it up closer toward the fan.  For now, though, I have a new chandelier that I made myself!  And it looks much better than the old glass cover that was here when I moved in.  Here is a picture of the old ceiling unit since it can't really be seen in the before picture below.

 BEFORE



AFTER

Once I get it more securely attached, I'll post a picture of it "lit up", but for now, I'm just excited about the new addition to the room!

*UPDATE*

After hanging up my version, I decided to find a real capiz shell chandelier to compare it to and I found this one at PBTeen.   Check out the differences in the total cost under the pictures!

PB Teen RealVersion                                             My Wax Paper Version











Cost:  $130                                                               Cost: $ 25

No comments:

Post a Comment