Monday, August 8, 2011

Yard Sale Score!

I headed out to the annual 127 Corridor (aka The World's Longest Yard Sale ever!) hoping to find two things.  One - a bench for the foot of the bed in the guest room (to be my first "reupholster job"!).  Two - a small desk/table to use as a vanity in the guest room (hoping for 25'' length or less - hard to find!).

The first stop was at a friend's house.  I was there mostly for the quick visit, but did score this cute frame for 25 cents!
The frame is probably going to get some spray paint, but I'm still deciding what color.  I originally thinking ORB-ing the frame and finding a neat little black & white picture to hang in the guest room.  I was also thinking of spraying it silver and using it as a mini tray in the guest room.  I'll have to think about it.

Before leaving this stop, I'd already spotted the next stop across the street.  They had giant glass paneled doors for only $5!  I really wanted one, but I have a little too much on my plate right now to commit to fixing up an old door.  I've seen such cute ideas for those types of old doors, though, that one is definitely in my future!

Next, we headed off and after a few miles in both directions, we still hadn't found anything we couldn't live without.  So we kept driving and ended up at a antique store running a 20% discount for the yard sale-ers.  This is where my luck kicked in.  I found both of the items I was looking for!  I spotted the bench first and knew it was coming home with me right away.
I played it cool though, looked around some more, then came back ready to bargain down the price a little more.  (Note: I left the actually bargaining to my Mom - she's much better than I am.  I play my part well though, by staring at the item in question, shaking my head, then making several "thinking" sounds.  Team work.)  We got her down to 25% off and with my new bench in hand, we started heading out of the store.  I was already thinking of what color fabric and paint I was going to use updating this bench when I saw the desk!  It's an old writing desk and seemed like it was the perfect size for the vanity desk.  I put the bench down and measured it with a borrowed tape measure - it was 26'' - almost perfect.  I decided to take my bench for now and go home to re-measure the space in the guest room and possibly come back for the desk.

Once we unloaded the bench at my house, I headed straight for the guest room with measuring tape.
The exact length of the wall (the one the mirror is laying on) is 26''!  I realized that the desk would stick out a little, though, because of the baseboards, but not only was this desk adorable, it was probably one of the few desks that will fit here!  So we headed back for our second purchase of the day and ready to do some more bargaining (or in my case, head-shaking and thoughtful-sound-making).  We got her to come down 30% on the writing desk, and once again, I was heading out of the store with my arms full!  After a good dusting, I hauled the desk up stairs to see how perfectly the new "vanity" fit in the space.
Perfect!  I already have a few update ideas for this piece too, however it'll probably be a little while before I get a chance to work on it.  For now, the pieces will be sitting as-is in their intended places and we'll all just have to use our imaginations until I get around to the "after" part!

No comments:

Post a Comment