Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pinterest Challenge: "Winter" Edition

For my "Winter" project (I put winter in quotes, because it is 80 degrees and beautiful outside  here in southern Ohio as I type this post! Crazy!!), I finally finished a project I've been planning on and working towards for a while.  And though it didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped, I'm still happy to have it completed and not a complete disaster!

My Pinspiration originally came from Michelle at Sweet Something Designs.  She created this neat little bottle cap tray that loved!  I knew I wanted to make one for my guest room!  Here is the original picture from her wonderfully made tray:

The hardest part - the part I've been working on - was collecting enough bottle caps in decent condition.  I spent many nights working on that bottle cap collection and even have a friend collecting them for me now too!  Once I found a tray at Goodwill to use....


I played around with the caps until I found an arrangement I liked... 

Then I gathered the rest of my supplies - acrylic water kit, spray paint, & the source of my last bottle cap!


I spray painted the tray several coats of plum and the painted the caps an even number of plum, white and lavender.  I let it try in the garage overnight.  The next evening I collected all my painted caps and my tray and mixed the acrylic water set as directed.  (Michelle's blog post suggested looking at Walmart for the least costly version and that's where I found the best deal!)  


This is were I ran into a major problem... well, two problems technically.  First, the handle holes weren't tall enough to allow me to use enough acrylic water to fill over top of the caps, which caused this weird film over some of the caps - the ones that got some on top before drying.  Two, my tray wasn't put together as solidly as I thought and the acrylic water soon leaked out from the bottom all over my counters!  I had to set it outside on some cardboard to dry for 48 hours.  The acrylic water that leaked from the bottom dried to the cardboard cause some paint chips when I removed it this afternoon, but it isn't very visible as you see here in the final picture!


Overall it turned out alright, but I will be excited to try it again, knowing what caused the difficulties this time.  So stay posted for take 2!  

Also, check out other Pinterest Challenge projects over at Young House Love!

1 comment: